Wednesday, October 1, 2008

middle of the night contemplation

It's 2:30 AM, and one of those restless nights, so made my way to write down some thoughts.
Almost a week after Von and Sheila's accident, and we continue to marvel at how it has turned
out. Even our insurance estimator called yesterday after evaluating the truck, and asked if Von and Sheila were ok. (The truck is totaled) He thought they would be in much more serious condition than they are. I've told many that there had to be angels involved. Sheila especially was spared greatly, compared to Von. But Von, too, is making remarkable progress each day.
He's ditched the cane, and walks more sure of himself. Both are noticing more bruising...Sheila's belly has a huge bruise where her seatbelt was, and a bruise on one shin. Von's arms are bruising from the IV's and from hitting the side of the truck during impact. Signs of healing.
When Sheila first saw the front of the truck, she broke down, probably in amazement. We've had many friends drop by, and a couple of them have also shed tears, as they view our slideshow.
One thing I haven't shared much is my reaction from the first call from Sheila. Of course I was
concerned at the sound of Sheila's quivery voice that she and Von had been in an accident. I had no idea how serious things were, but....as I headed out the door to the sound of sirens heading that way, a calmness enveloped me, which took conrol over me the rest of the night. I stayed calm and moved about the horrific scene staying close to Von and observing Sheila's care, maintaining as much eye contact with her as I could, assuring her that Jon was on his way to be with her. Rosie and I had no trouble standing at Von's side for a couple hours in the emergency room, calming and reassuring him that everything was alright.
Sheila's check-up yesterday indicated that all is normal, inspite of the wound and bruises. Her doctor calls her "trouble." This is her third pregnancy, and all have been challenging. I think this one tops the list now.
So, all is well. Von is looking for another TUNDRA. We know it can save lives.
Must try to go back to sleep. Good night.

No comments: