Friday, January 23, 2009

adoption

The February issue of the Ensign arrived this week, and I had a chance to read through the articles on adoption from the birth mother, father, grandparent and child's perspective. Sheila, Von and I experienced similarly, and encourage all to read for yourselves to see how we could have chosen to do as we did, .....and be at peace with it. The Father's article was most like our experience.
Those without the Ensign I'll just sum up as best as I can... We went to LDS Family Services for counseling early on. The moment we walked in the door, the Spirit was there. A video of Pres. Hinckley talking about adoption was shown to us, and we knew then what we needed to do.
Sheila alone looked through albums of couples waiting to adopt a child...one child. She found three, but had chosen one. Von and I selected the same couple as she had. When Sheila was about 4 months along, we met Mike and Karen. My desire was to adopt them! We all knew then that they were to be the parents of this baby. The day of placement at the hospital, Von's brother, Dale, was asked to give Sheila a Priesthood blessing, and several other family members and friends were present for support. Still...leaving him with them and walking away was probably the hardest thing we ever did. It was just as the article expressed....a silent, tearful drive, with many more weeks and months of similar feelings.
Being able to see pictures and read the letters and e-mails about Josh has helped, and 5 years later, with two daughters of her own, Sheila is very much at peace with that decision, and finding her own joys with these little girls. She, and sometimes Von and I, continued with counseling sessions to help with the transition for a year or so.
As was mentioned in the article...it comes down to what's best for the child. Josh is where we and the Lord knew was best for him.
Check out his blog, if you haven't already (included on our blog page).

1 comment:

Shawna Bates said...

Hi Von and Viv,
YOu don't know me, I'm just an avid blogger. I love thumbing peoples blogs. I happened to stumbl across yours and was just reading your post on the adoption and wow it pulled at my heart strings. I just could not imagine handing that baby over to his new mommy and daddy. How hard that must of been. I am very glad to read tho that you all found peace with it! That's fantastic!!!